Friday, March 2, 2012

Terme Bagni di Casciana - March 2, 2012


Terme Bagni di Casciana

Today I went to the hot spring pool in the town of Casciana Terme, in the province of Pisa. I went by myself, and that was just fine, except the I do better with a human navigator when I'm driving. I confess I got lost a couple of times both coming and going!

To get to Casciana Terme from Florence, you take the "Superstrada" (tollfree highway) called "FI PI LI". FI PI LI stands for "Florence Pisa Livorno", which are the major towns it serves. Exit the superstrada at Pontedera, and take the highway SS13 towards Ponsacco, which you pass through, continuing until you arrive in Casciana Terme. In town there are indications for the pool, and there is a free parking lot just before you arrive, on the right side.

As always, part of the fun of trying new hot spring pools is exploring the Tuscan countryside. When you leave the FI PI LI, you drive through a land where agriculture reigns over industry, and grapevines and olive groves, solar panels and wind farms, replace parking lots and shopping centers.



The entrance to the hot spring pool is a modern building. To get to the pool, you have to walk through a clinic area, and the directions are indicated by signs saying "Piscina Esterna" (Outdoor Pool) and an arrow. You finally arrive to an desk where you pay your fee. You will be given a key for a locker with an elastic band so you can wear it on your wrist while in the pool; you must leave a document as a deposit for the key. The dressing rooms are very comfortable, with lockers, benches, bathrooms and showers. You enter the pool from indoors to avoid the cold, leaving your robe and flipflops in the hallway.


The pool is large and quite shallow, about 3 deep feet all over. There are all kinds of jets and water falls, and even an area with a strong current. I particularly enjoyed a waterfall which was perfect for shoulders and back.


The temperature is a warm 33°C/91°F, but not hot. The water has a green minerally hue to it. There is no strong smell or taste.


There is a small garden and terraces, which would be enjoyable in good weather - I was there in the winter, and it was better to stay in the water! I think it would be fun for a family outing, as kids would love the pool and garden.

The waters are rich in salts and carbon dioxide, and are 35.7°C/95°F at the source. They do not add chlorine to this pool.

On the way home, you can enjoy some more Tuscan countryside:




BAGNI DI CASCIANA S.r.l.
Piazza Garibaldi, 9
56034 Casciana Terme (PI)
Tel. +39 0587 64461 +39 0587 64461
Fax +39 0587 644629

2 comments:

  1. Nice! That's something I've never experienced. One more thing to add to my bucket list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been the best most informative review of this place I have encounter. Thank you. Now I feel confident in going by myself too.

    ReplyDelete